Frequently Asked Questions
- Does a Smart Meter increase exposure to EMR?
With a Smart Meter installed in your home, you are not only sending electromagnetic radiation (EMR) out into the neighborhood from your home to connect with the other meters, but the Smart Grid is also broadcasting into your home. In fact, studies have shown that Smart Meters output more than 100 times the power of an average cell phone.
Smart Meters have no RF filtering built into the circuitry to remove the RF they give off from their switch-mode power supply. Simply put, the entering of RF “Dirty Power” induced from the Smart Meter Grid enters into our homes riding on top of our power wires and uses our internal wiring circuits as an antenna, emitting harmful RF waves into our bodies. This induced RF kHz frequency into our bodies may cause serious health concerns which have been documented by many studies.
- How do I recognize a Dirty Power issue?
In order to recognize if you have a problem with dirty power, you need to be on the lookout for certain indications or symptoms of dirty power. If you have experienced any of these symptoms, you should consider taking action to minimize your exposure to EMF going forward.
- Electrical breakers tripping regularly
- Light bulbs flicker or blink
- Spikes or dips in power
- Drop in quality of network communications
- Issues with transformers. (excessive heat, noise, failure, etc)
- Neutral wiring and distribution panels become hot
- Unusual noise or vibrations from electrical equipment
- Electrical conductors dropping out or chattering
- Electrical equipment shutting down unexpectedly
- Electrical motors failing or windings overheating
- Failing printed circuit boards in computers or other electrical equipment
- Lower energy efficiency than expected
- Experiencing unexplained health issues
- Higher carbon emissions than normal
- How does Dirty Power affect my electronic equipment?
Generally speaking, your electronic equipment operates by reading electronic impulses. However, when you have an issue with dirty power, the performance of your electronic devices can be greatly affected. Instead of your device dealing with a steady supply of pure electricity, your devices, when exposed to dirty power, have to deal with the random pulses and other erratic behavior of dirty power. This can cause a number of issues such as devices not behaving as expected, distorted letters or numbers appearing on screens and or shutdown of electronics, re-boot issues, blank screens, or premature failure of components altogether. In some cases, you could potentially lose files and have issues executing programs on your device.
- Is there a difference between Dirty Power and Dirty Electricity?
The terms ‘Dirty Power’ and ‘Dirty Electricity’ both refer to the same thing. Both terms refer to the electricity that behaves erratically. ‘Dirty Power’ and ‘Dirty Electricity’ can be used interchangeably.
- Should I be concerned about Dirty Power?
Dirty power is a growing issue, which the World Health Organization has recognized as being harmful to our health in both the short-term and the long-term. Electrical devices and electrical wires emit electromagnetic fields (EMF), which are also known as electromagnetic radiation (EMR). Exposure to these fields have been linked to a wide number of medical conditions. With more and more electronic devices in our environment nowadays, we are exposed to more than ever before and you need to take steps to protect yourself.
- What are the causes of Dirty Power?
Dirty power can be caused by a number of different electrical issues, each of which can cause the electrical supply to your property to behave differently than expected. Some examples of these issues include:
- Smart Meters
- Switch-mode power supplies
- Surges or transients in voltage
- Power interruptions
- Variations in the frequency of power
- Waveform distortions
- Non-linear loads
- What are the harmful effects of Dirty Power?
Studies have shown that dirty power is bioactive, meaning that is has a direct impact on the human biological system. Research has shown dirty power may be associated with an auto-immune disease, difficulty sleeping, neurological conditions, anxiety and attention disorders, as well as a number of other chronic symptoms in relation to inflammation.
- What can I do to protect myself from Dirty Power?
Nowadays, we are surrounded by more electronic devices than ever before and it’s crucial for your health that you do what you can to protect yourself from dirty power. One of the best ways of protecting yourself is to install a meter to analyze the amount of dirty power you are being exposed to.
Electromagnetic fields (EMR) can pass easily through most common materials but are always strongest at the source of the dirty power. As you move further from the source, the level of EMR will decrease. There are many different potential sources of dirty power but some of the primary sources, which you should be aware of, include:
- Smart Meters
- Smart Appliances
- Cordless telephones
- Desktop computers and laptops
- Televisions and projector screens
- Home entertainment systems
- Energy-efficient light bulbs and LED’s
- Energy-efficient appliances/devices
- Dimmer switches
- Power tools
- All capacitive equipment (furnaces, heat pumps, A/C, pumps, etc.)
- What is a Smart Meter?
Smart Meters are used to measure and keep track of your electrical energy use. They measure the ‘moment-to-moment’ usage of electricity so that you can monitor your energy consumption more accurately and be more economical in terms of your consumption. These Smart Meters communicate with each other through what is known as ‘mesh networking,’ whereby they communicate directly with other Smart Meters and relay the information back to the power company. This means the power company does not have to send people to your home to check your consumption as it can all be carried out remotely.
- What is Dirty Power?
When we use electricity in our homes, we expect that the electricity will behave in a certain way in accordance with the purpose for which it is being used. When we speak about dirty power, we are essentially referring to electricity that does not behave in the way we expect it to. In our homes, our electrical systems require a certain voltage and frequency from the electricity that is delivered. Dirty power is electricity that behaves erratically and fails to meet these expectations.
- What is Electro-Hyper Sensitivity Disorder (disease) and who does it affect?
Electromagnetic Hypersensitivity (EHS) is the medical term for a set of very real health symptoms whose cause is electrically-based. It is also called Electrical Sensitivity (ES), Electromagnetic Sensitivity (EMS), EMF Injured, Microwave or Radiation Sickness, and other names. It can affect anyone in all walks of life from infants to the elderly and even household pets have been documented with having severe health issues related to EHS.
Below are some medical conditions that exposure to dirty power may be associated with:
- Mood swings and Irritability
- Multiple Sclerosis